Information for Tenants

The information below is intended to provide tenants a brief summary of answers to common questions and serve as general guidance.

Should you have any specific queries regarding your tenancy or renting a property through MJK Property Management, please contact Michelle Kaunitz direct on 0408 237 900 or email and we will be happy to discuss your property management needs.


Who is responsible for utility connections?

It is your responsibility as a tenant to ensure that any utility connections you require (e.g. power, gas, internet etc.) are made under your name. We can however help you with this task at the start of your tenancy by facilitating these connections through a third party, ReduceMyBills. If wish to utilise this service, simply complete the appropriate section on your Tenancy Application Form.

Can I copy keys?

If you wish to copy keys, it is important to note that we will want back all the copies given to you at the start of your tenancy, plus the extra copies created during your tenancy period. For properties with restricted or controlled key access, you will require permission from the owner through us to have extra copies and you will be liable for any charges incurred to provide you with these extra copies. Please note that if you need to change the locks during your tenancy period (except in an emergency), this can only be done with the owner’s permission.

Will any of the owner’s insurance policies (e.g. Landlord, Building, Contents) cover my belongings?

It is important to note that your belongings are not covered by any insurance policy that may be held by the owner. Even if your belongings are damaged as a result of any circumstances affecting the owner’s property (i.e. fire, power outages, storm damage etc.), your belongings will not be covered by the owner’s insurance, even if their property is. Therefore we strongly recommend you consider obtaining home contents insurance cover as a tenant.

How is my rent calculated?

As a tenant, you will have the option setting up your rental payments as either fortnightly or monthly. The payment amount for each of these periods is derived from the Weekly Rent and calculated as follows:

Fortnightly Payment: Weekly Rent x 2 (due on the same day every two weeks)

Monthly Payment: Weekly Rent divided by 7 days (Daily Rent), multiplied by 365 days (Yearly Rent), divided by 12 months (Monthly Rent – rounded to nearest 5c)

What options do I have to pay my rent?

We only receive rent by electronic funds transfer directly into our trust account.

Can I make any alterations to the property (e.g. install picture hooks, paint, install or remove fixtures etc.)?

You cannot make any alterations to the property without the owner’s written permission. In the case of requests for installing fixtures such as picture hooks or mirrors, be aware that even if permission is granted by the owner, you will likely need to restore the property back to the same condition as when you first moved in. Any maintenance or repair work required to do so (e.g. remove fixtures, repair/repaint surfaces) will need to be done at your own expense.

How do I report repairs?

All repairs are lodged in writing. This can be done through our website or through a direct email to us at In case of after hour emergency repairs (repairs that can cause damage or injury to the tenant), please contact us as soon as safe and practicable to inform us of the issue. Unless it is unsafe to do so, we highly recommend that you contact us first before contacting a tradesperson to visit. And if you have to contact a tradesperson, contact the listed tradespersons.

Who is responsible for changing light bulbs?

It is your responsibility as a tenant to replace any light bulbs as required during your tenancy and to ensure that all light fittings at the property have working globes at the end of your tenancy. In the event that a light is not working due to an electrical fault, it will be the owner’s responsibility to rectify the fault, however it is your responsibility to advise the owner through us of the need for repair.

Who is responsible for maintaining the smoke detector?

While it is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that the property is appropriately fitted out with smoke detectors and alarms, it is your responsibility as a tenant to replace any batteries for these smoke detectors on the property, as required. If there is any issue with a smoke detector that cannot be resolved by replacing a battery, it is your responsibility to advise the owner through us of the issue so this can be rectified by the owner as soon as possible.

Do you perform routine inspections?

Yes, we will conduct a routine inspection 3 months after you have moved in and every 6 months thereafter. In accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act 2010, we are allowed to do a maximum of 4 inspections in a year. The main purpose of these inspections is to provide a report to the owner that you are maintaining the property, check for any required repairs and to make any recommendations to the owner on the maintenance of their property.

How often do you review the rent?

Rental reviews are conducted normally every 6 months for tenancies based on a periodic agreement, or 2-3 months prior to the end of a lease for tenancies based on a fixed-term agreement. In the event that the owner seeks to increase the rent, you will be given at least 60 days  notice before any rent increase takes effect.

What happens if the owner wants to sell the property while I am living there?

Before the owner takes any action to sell or market the property for sale (e.g. prepare sales contract, advertise, open for inspection etc.), they must first provide you with 14 days’ notice of their intention to sell the property. On receipt of such a notice, it is important to note that you cannot unreasonably refuse to allow inspection of the property by potential buyers, provided that there are no more than two inspections in any given week and that you are given at least 48 hours notice prior to each inspection.

If the property is sold and your tenancy is under a fixed-term lease agreement, you are entirely within your right to stay until the end of your lease term, even if the change in owners occurs during this time. If your tenancy is under a periodic agreement, if vacant possession is being sought by the buyers, once contracts have been exchanged, the landlord must give you a minimum of 30 days’ notice to vacate.

How much notice do I need to give when I want to vacate?

You need to give 14 days’ notice in writing to vacate at the end of a fixed term of a Tenancy Agreement. For a periodic agreement, the tenant is required to give 21 days’ notice in writing if they want to vacate. Please note that this notice period needs to commence from the date the written advice is received by us.

What do I need to do to get my bond back as quickly as possible?

For your full bond to be paid quickly, you will need to ensure the following:

  1. Rent – there is no outstanding rent.
  2. Property Ready – the property is cleaned, carpets cleaned (professionally if animals were kept on the premises during the tenancy) and grounds returned to their ingoing condition, as agreed by us during our outgoing inspection.
  3. Outstanding Accounts – any monies outstanding like water usage, any damages, compensation amounts and break lease fees are paid.
  4. Keys – all keys, remote controls etc. have been returned.
  5. Light bulbs – all light bulbs are in working order and that any issues affecting lighting (e.g. electrical faults) are reported.

Once these criteria have been met we can then refund your bond.

What happens if I don’t meet my responsibilities as a tenant?

We will always work with tenants to try to prevent or resolve any issues as early and quickly as possible. In these matters, clear lines of communication are often key. In the event that you fail to meet your responsibilities as a tenant after being given sufficient opportunity to address any issues, a number of actions may be undertaken by us on behalf of the owner. Depending on the nature and severity of the issue, such actions may range from deduction of monies from your rental bond or applying to the NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal for a tribunal order for some specified action. In the case of rental default, we may also list your details on the National Tenancy Database which may impact any future rental applications you may lodge, as well as your credit rating.